We're happy to annonce the open call for the residency spots from July - December 2021! Find all the details below.
Illustration: Līva Kandevica
Open call for comic artist residencies in Riga from July 2021 – December 2021.
The kuš! Comics Residency is open for applications for the period July – December 2021! Organised in collaboration with ISSP, kuš! will continue to host comic artists in our residency apartment in the centre of Riga. This is a wonderful opportunity for artists to focus on their personal projects in an inspiring environment away from home. In the same time ISSP will host photographers, this creates extra opportunities for interdisciplinary interaction between the residency participants.
Who can apply?
Comic artists and other professionals working in the field of comics may apply. Due to the current pandemic-related travel restrictions, the 2021 residency programme will host artists from countries within EU, EEA, Switzerland and the UK.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, we recommend longer stays of 2 calendar months. However stays of 1 month are still possible depending on the individual preferences and the residency schedule. Stays shorter than a full month are possible but the residency calendar is based on month-long slots, so the full monthly fee will apply.
What we provide
- A private room in a comfortable residency apartment in the center of Riga
- Promotion of your project on our social media
- Individually we can agree with the residents to make an exhibition or hold a public talk or workshop to meet with the local art scene.
- A part-time staff member to provide local support
- The possibility to use the library and extra equipment at the kuš! office
- Invitation letter so you can apply for public funding
What we expect from you
- You work on your own comics project (no relation to kuš! needed!)
- To be open to present your work to the local audience in the form of an artist talk or other public event
- Please bring one of your zines/books to leave at the residency
One month at the residency costs 300 euros. A partial advance will be payable to confirm the participation. Applying for the residency is free of charge.
The selected participants will need to cover their travel and production cost by themselves. You'll get an official invitation letter from us, which you may use to apply for funding in your own country.
One selected artist from a Nordic country will get to stay free of charge and receive a grant provided by Nordic Culture Point.
Accommodation and facilities
The artists-in-residence will reside in an spacious apartment located in the city centre, which will be shared with two other residents in the field of comics and/or photography. Facilities: private bedroom, table, shared living room, fireplace, bathroom, kitchen, wi-fi, scanner, black/white deskjet printer, light box, bicycle.
Riga is the capital of Latvia, a country in the northeast of Europe next to the Baltic Sea. The city hosts an active cultural scene with plenty to discover. The countryside with beautiful forests and beaches can easily be reached by public transport.
Covid-19 will not stop our residency programme, but there are several considerations to take into account to keep everyone safe.
- Currently a negative Covid test and a filled Covidpass confirmation form are required to enter Latvia. For most of the visitors, 10 days of self-isolation must be observed upon arrival. A list of countries subject to safety measures (updated every Friday evening) is here. Official information on the current entry regulations to Latvia is here: https://ej.uz/mfa_consular_info.
- It is allowed to stay in one apartment with the other residents for the self-isolation period, as long as you carefully observe the disinfection requirements. It is also ok to go outside and walk around the city or in nature during self-isolation, you just need to keep distance to other people and wear a mask in public spaces.
- More information on current Covid-19 regulations in Latvia are here: https://covid19.gov.lv/en;
Project Partner ISSP
ISSP is an international platform for contemporary photography, based in Latvia. ISSP offers highest-quality education and networking programmes for photographers, organises residencies, exhibitions and events, and creates new ways to promote the cross-border exchange of ideas in the art of photography. Photographers can apply for their residency here.
In the period July 2021 - December 2023 the residency is supported by Nordic Culture Point (project "United Riga Residency for photographers and illustrators").
Please submit the APPLICATION FORM by 5 May 2021. The results will be announced in the beginning of June. The artist selected for July will be contacted as soon as possible.
Write us to komikss(at)gmail.com
Emma Roulette (USA/ES)
Jyrki Nissinen (FI)
Amanda Vähämäki (FI)
Chika Annen (JP/UK)
Emil Friis Ernst (DK)
Greta Alice (LT)
Hans Lichtenwagner (DE)
Jurijs Tatarkins (LV)
Matei-Ioan Monoranu (RO)
Milena Simeonova (BG)
Ward Zwart (BE)
Weng Pixin (SG)
Bailey Sharp (USA/AU)
Nathan Cowdry (UK)
Scott Travis (USA/UK)
Illustration: Mārtiņš Zutis
- Bailey Sharp, cartoonist from Georgia, USA, living in Melbourne, Australia. Co-art editor of The Lifted Brow and part of GLOM PRESS, kuš! resident in December 2019.
"The accommodation itself was generous, I had plenty of working space and the apartment was well looked after. Grocery stores, art supplies, cafes and cheap food spots were just a few minutes walk away, as was the tram into the city (though I usually found it possible to walk everywhere I wanted to go). It was the ideal place to be shacked up, even in the notoriously cold Latvian winter. Overall I loved it, 10/10! Go if you can."
Illustration: Oskars Pavlovskis